Cloud technology, Software-defined Networking (SDN), and Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) promises to radically change the economics and velocity of network services by deploying virtual network functions on standard, low cost, clouds and commodity off-the-shelf (COTS) servers and switches. The benefits can only be realized, however, if network functions can be seamlessly deployed and managed on distributed cloud-based infrastructure that consists of many thousands of cooperating virtual machines.
Today's data center architecture was built for Web and cloud native applications that are primarily stateless and feature application-level resiliency. Network functions such as subscriber access/management and networking policy databases are fundamentally different. Network functions are stateful - they act as a single highly available managed service, while scaling in one or more dimensions: processing power, packet I/O, persistent storage, managed-visibility, and APIs. Plus, unlike the majority of web apps, network functions are real-time - think voice and video - and require predictable bandwidth (no jitter) and low latency.
The RIFT founders believe that the best way to accomplish this is to bring the same open source, community-driven model that fuels the growth of Web-based businesses, and combine it with the scalability, security, and operational simplicity demanded by cloud-scale network services on data center architecture. This is RIFT.ware: the industry's first open source, hyperscale network service virtualization (NSV) platform.
Carrier Grade NFV Orchestration Accelerates NFV Deployments and Cloud-Ready Solutions
As a part of the Wind River® Titanium Cloud™ ecosystem, RIFT and Wind River have partnered to bring carrier grade orchestration with scale to Wind River Titanium Server™ customers. The RIFT.ware™ Network Service Virtualization (NSV) platform is a model-driven, ETSI-compliant Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) Management and Orchestration (MANO) solution that simplifies deployment of virtual network functions (VNF) and the composition and management of complex network services.
Communication service providers (CSPs) can use RIFT.ware to validate and deploy VNFs and network service chains on Titanium Server and automatically leverage the unique capabilities of their NFV and cloud infrastructure within a hybrid cloud environment.
- Orchestration with scale: RIFT.ware dynamically builds the complex networks, renders service paths, and optimally deploys VNFs across distributed environments. Deployed
- services are monitored and scaled as required.
- Orchestration with high availability: Monitoring occurs at various levels—including network, process, and VM—to complement Titanium Server's 99.9999% uptime guarantee and protect from failures at massive scale.
- Faster service creation, deployment, and time-to-value: RIFT.ware's model-driven framework and user interface simplifies the composition of complex network services, VNF Forwarding Graphs (VNFFGs), and scalable compound multi-VM VNFs.
- Optimized cloud infrastructure utilization: RIFT.ware performs automated, intelligent VNF workload placement using VNF descriptors incorporating Intel® Enhanced Platform Awareness (EPA) attributes that makes it simple to take advantage of unique Titanium Server features.
Titanium Cloud ecosystem
Introducing Wind River Titanium Cloud, the ecosystem of products around Wind River Titanium Server for Network Functions Virtualization (NFV).
Developing and maintaining a board support package (BSP) requires a dedicated embedded software staff with expertise on the hardware, the operating system, and optional software stacks.
Wind River Partner Program Brochure
The Wind River Partner Program provides a scalable platform for our partners to optimize, validate, and market compelling joint value propositions to our existing and growing base of customers.
A Crayon Simple Look at Wind River
A three-minute video describing in simple terms what Wind River is, the extraordinary things that we helps our customers do, and why now is a particularly exciting time to be here.